Website Soka University of America
The Director of International Student Services reports to the Dean of Enrollment Services and serves as the university’s Primary Designated School Official (PDSO). The Director oversees the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), a central database that the government requires to maintain accurate and current international student information during various enrollment periods. This individual is responsible for gathering essential documents and issuing I-20 forms to new and returning students, confirming international student’s ability to travel for their study abroad programs, and managing the process of international students’ post-completion options. The Director is responsible for informing key personnel on and off campus regarding changes in the Department of Homeland Security’s laws and participates in recruiting, evaluating, and reading admissions files with the purpose of supporting the university enrollment goals.
Candidates should demonstrate responsiveness toward and understanding of diverse student backgrounds, especially with regard to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, culture, ability/disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and have a willingness to facilitate the university’s mission to develop global citizens.
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
International Student Services
- Serve as the primary campus contact and maintains working relationships with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), US Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS), and US Department of State (USDOS) on matters of regulatory issues affecting international students.
- Serve as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) and interprets regulation authorizing Soka University of America to admit and enroll international students.
- Oversee the creation and distribution of appropriate information and instructional resources for international students, including university policies and procedures and revising campus materials.Provides counsel and support to all international students regarding traveling documentation for their mandatory study abroad programs by confirming the validity of their immigration documents.
- Advises students on working in the US, applying for a driver’s license, applying for SSN, transferring to a new school, or taking leave of absence and providing supporting letters as needed.
- Oversee and manage the process of each international student’s post-completion options, pursuing graduate studies or returning to their home country.
SEVIS Data Maintenance
- Manages and provides oversight of the SEVIS system used to report international students’ information and oversees all stages of visa processing.
- Prepares and submits materials necessary for SEVIS Recertification for the F-1 visa program.
- Maintains active SEVIS user’s records and verifies their information when necessary.
- Tracks and certifies students’ full-time enrollment and registers all students in SEVIS.
- Submit student and program data correction requests to SEVIS or SEVIS help desk.
- Provide expertise and direction in the gathering of essential documents and the issuance of I-20 forms, including annual cost of attendance information, curricular and optional practical training, and communication to all relevant office stakeholders within Enrollment Services.
- Collaborate with the Office of Admission and Office of Financial Aid to ensure timely issuance of I-20 documents.
- Manage undergraduate admission-related inquiries from prospective international students in person and in virtual settings with the purpose of supporting the university’s long-term enrollment goals.
- Utilize Admission Office CRM to record student data, view documents, and manage communication workflows.
- Gather, analyze, and present statistical data and reports to management for the purpose of enrollment forecasting.
- Participates in the evaluation of application materials and provides recommendations regarding an applicant’s candidacy for admission.
- Assist with the development and revision of admission applications, brochures, bulletins, and fact sheets for the purpose of informing and recruiting students.
Management / Leadership
- Supervise professional staff and student workers in their training, creating work schedules and daily tasks.
- Interprets and incorporates regulatory changes into internal policies and procedures to ensure consistency in advising practices for professional staff.
- Serves as a liaison between other Enrollment Service offices, Academic Affairs, Bursar, and Student Affairs.
Orientations, Activities & Workshops
- Plans and conducts workshops for international students, staff, and faculty.
- Support various Office of Enrollment Services-sponsored campus events.
- Plan and implement OPT & CPT employment workshops.
- Serve as an advisor to all students to promote social events and interactions that encourage cross-cultural awareness.
Other Administrative Duties
- Oversees OISS office budget, projections, and expense reconciliations.
- Organize and maintain physical and digital student records.
- Regularly attends conferences with the purpose of advising university deans, directors, department heads, managers, and other key personnel working with international students on changes in immigration regulations.
- Support Dean of Enrollment Services international initiatives.
Please click the link below for more information.
To apply for this job please visit apply.interfolio.com.