Sierra Canyon School is a nonprofit independent, nondenominational, coeducational day school in the northern San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. With an enrollment of 1,000 students in grades PK-12, admission is selective. Sierra Canyon School is located on 35 beautiful, rustic acres and has two campuses across the street from each other: the Lower Campus for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through Six and the state-of-the-art Upper Campus for students in grades Seven through Twelve. Students of color comprise 43% of the student body, 7% are international students, and students reside in 98 different zip codes. There are 412 students in the Upper School and 103 students in the Class of 2020, Sierra Canyon’s twelfth graduating senior class.
Sierra Canyon School is an academically excellent college preparatory school committed to an empowering environment in which students realize their greatest intellectual, creative, ethical, and physical promise. We are defined by an energized, attentive, and diverse student-teacher culture. Sierra Canyon School is a special place to grow for the challenges of a fast-changing world.
At its core, Sierra Canyon School develops students who are as keen to realize their potential as their teachers are to inspire it. Our faculty prepares each student for a lifetime of learning and active citizenship. Academic and extracurricular programs encourage the broadening of student perspectives and provide an exposure to both the surrounding community and the wider world. Experiential learning opportunities form a healthy, challenging part of Sierra Canyon School’s program.
The primary responsibilities for the Assistant Director of College Counseling include:
· Work with a caseload of 30-40 students in each grade 10-12.
· Assist and advise students and their families as they move through the college research, application and selection process
· Prepare and write detailed college recommendations for every senior and summer program recommendation letters for underclassmen
· Submit all supporting school related college admissions documents to colleges for counselees
· Advise students regarding course selection and the course scheduling process
· Advocate for students with college admission Deans and Directors
· Establish and maintain personal, close contacts with admission Deans and Directors
· Stay current and knowledgeable on all college related news and trends, nationally and locally
· Present at each grade level’s College Night, Parent Coffees and Class Meetings
· Assist in coordination of Financial Aid Night and Valley Renegade Case Studies Night
· Write and send college counseling communications, maintaining regular communication with parents/guardians and students throughout the college admission process
· Manage teacher recommendation submission process
· Work with college host student ambassadors
· Promote Sierra Canyon at regional and national conferences
· Assist in updating the college counseling department’s publications
· Help with coordinating and chaperoning Sierra Canyon East Coast College Tour
· Visit Colleges regularly
· Pursue professional development opportunities
· Engage actively in the Sierra Canyon community, attending art, performing arts, and athletic events
For complete job description and application information, please click below.
To apply for this job please visit www.sierracanyonschool.org.