Website Peninsula Bridge
Start Date: January 2018
About the Organization
Peninsula Bridge closes the achievement gap and provides access to higher education for high-achieving, underserved youth by providing support from middle school through college graduation. We serve 615 motivated low-income youth from San Mateo to Mountain View with academic and social-emotional support. Our year-round program and 12-year commitment prepares students for success in high school, college and beyond. Our High School Academy provides academic and college planning support to students in grades 9-12 and their families. Students receive academic counseling, mentoring, tutoring and workshops on high school success and college readiness.
This College Counselor position is an exciting opportunity that involves both hands-on counseling of high school students and the opportunity to help develop and shape our programming as we grow as an organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
The college counselor will be responsible for direct advising of juniors and seniors and their families throughout the college admissions process. In addition, the college counselor will work with our Director of College Programs and our existing college counselor to:
- Develop a four-year college guidance curriculum for students along with an accompanying parent education curriculum. Lead key information sessions and workshops around the college application process and financial aid
- Develop a standardized test prep program to meet the needs of a diverse set of students
- Develop a 1:1 college application coaching program to support seniors during fall of senior year, including training and managing coaches
- Partner with counseling professionals at high schools attended by Peninsula Bridge students to develop prospective college lists and financial aid strategies
- Build and maintain relationships with college admissions offices, including encouraging and managing visits by college admissions representatives in order to improve Peninsula Bridge’s visibility and reputation leading to active recruitment of our students
- Plan and lead a summer college application boot camp for rising seniors
- Develop and maintain key knowledge specific to supporting low-income, first-generation
students through the college admissions process
- Stay informed regarding UC, CSU and selective private college admissions
- Analyze data and report outcomes to the Peninsula Bridge management and Board of Directors
- Work evenings and weekends when necessary
- Travel to conferences and visit colleges in order to stay current in the field and develop and maintain professional relationships
Skills and Knowledge
- Deep knowledge of the college admissions process, including an in-depth understanding of California public and private colleges as well as highly selective colleges across the U.S., especially those that offer excellent need-based financial aid and strong first-generation student support programs.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet various deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and
persuasively in support of students
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Fluent in Spanish
- Three to five years of experience working as a college counselor with high school students, either at a school or non-profit organization.
- Familiarity with Google Docs
This is a salaried full time position (40 hours per week) which will occasionally require travel outside of the Palo Alto area and attendance at meetings or events outside of regular office hours. Peninsula Bridge provides competitive compensation, depending upon experience. Peninsula Bridge is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Submit an email with a cover letter and resume to Rene Jimenez: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive verification of receipt of your resume. Please specify in your cover letter how you learned of this position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com